- 1/2loafFrench bread or Italian bread(1-pound)
- 2tablespoonsbutteror margarine
- 1largecooking apple, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/2cupseedless raisins
- 1/2cup coarsely choppedwalnuts
- 1/4cupgranulated sugar
- 1/2teaspoonground cinnamon
- 1/4teaspoonground nutmeg
- 1cupsour cream, divided
- 1 1/2cupsmilk
- 1/4cupmaple syrup
- Slice the bread into 1/2″ slices, then halve the slices; set aside.
- Melt the butter or margarine in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and saute the apple until just softened, about 3 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- Stir in the raisins, walnuts, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and 1/2 cup of the sour cream.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, milk, maple syrup, and the remaining 1/2 cup of sour cream.
- Butter a 10″ pie plate or a 9″ square baking dish.
- Layer half the bread in the prepared baking dish, spread the apple and sour cream mixture over the bread; then layer with the remaining bread.
- Pour the egg and milk mixture over all and cover.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 2-24 hours.
- When ready to prepare, preheat the oven to 325 and bake the strata, uncovered, 50-60 minutes, or until set and lightly browned.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »