- 10cupschicken broth
- 1onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/4ouncesfresh ginger, 4 1/2 inch thick slices
- 2tablespoonsnam pla(fish sauce)
- 3clovesgarlic, halved
- 2star anise
- 10whole cloves
- 1largeboneless chicken breast, trimmed
- 8ouncesfresh bean sprouts
- 12baby carrots, sliced in thirds
- 8ouncescellophane noodles or bean thread noodles, pre cut
- 3green onions, sliced
- 1/2lbshrimp, cleaned and shelled
- lime wedges
- 1/2cupcilantro leaves
- 1/2cupfresh mint leaves
- Bring large pot of water to boil, then remove from heat.
- Add noodles to the pot; let stand until tender, about 15 minutes, then drain and set aside in a large serving bowl.
- Combine chicken broth, onion slices, fish sauce, sliced baby carrots and chicken in a soup pot; bring to a simmer.
- In a cheesecloth or tea infuser, add the whole cloves, sliced ginger, garlic, star anise and place in the soup pot with the chicken.
- Simmer the chicken, vegetables and spice mixture for about 30 minutes, until chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Remove chicken and cool it until you can cut into cubes; place back into the simmering soup pot.
- Remove the cheesecloth or tea infuser, discard ingredients inside.
- Add bean sprouts and shrimp and simmer for about 5 more minutes.
- Ladle the soup into the large serving bowl with the noodles.
- Add the green onions, cilantro and mint leaves to the serving bowl.
- Serve with fresh lime wedges.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »