- 1lb frozenkadaifi(shredded wheat pastry, available in the freezer section of most good supermarkets, next to the filo)
- 6ouncesbutter, melted
- 1 1/2cupswater
- 1/2lemon, juice of or1 cinnamon stick, in place of the citrus
- 1/2fresh lemon rind
- 3orange slices, with rind
- 4cupsmilk(3 hot & 1 cold)
- 4egg yolks
- 1teaspoonvanilla extract
- 12ounceswhipped cream
- sliveredtoasted almonds
- Crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees; crumble frozen kadaife into a 13×9-inch glass baking dish; drizzle with butter and bake 40 minutes or until golden brown; remove from oven and cool.
- In small pot, combine remaing crust ingredients; bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes; remove citrus rinds (if you don’t want citrus, boil syrup with a cinnamon stick and remove); spoon syrup over kadaifi and cool.
- Custard: Combine flour, cornstarch, and sugar in small bowl; add cold milk and whisk to remove any lumps; whisk in egg yolks; strain mixture through sieve into hot milk.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until it thickens; add vanilla and place plastic wrap directly on surface to prevent skin from forming; cool for 1 1/2 hours.
- Spread custard evenly over kadaifi crust; refrigerate 1 1/2 to 2 hours minimum; then top with layer of whipped cream and decorate with slivered, toasted almonds.
- Chill well before serving.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »