- 1lbdried black-eyed peas
- 1bay leaf
- 1largered onion, finely diced
- 2teaspoons gratedorange zest
- 1/4cupfresh orange juice
- 5clovesgarlic, minced
- 1/3cupred wine vinegar
- 1/4teaspoonhot pepper sauce
- 1smalljalapeno pepper, with seeds,minced
- 1/2teaspoonfresh ground pepper
- 3/4cuplite olive oil
- 1largecucumber, peeled,seeded and cut into 1/2 inch dices
- In large saucepan, cover peas with 4″ cold water.
- Add bay leaf boil over moderate heat- reduce to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the peas are tender-approximately 50 minutes.
- Add water if peas look dry.
- Drain in colander, rinse with cold water; discard bay leaf.
- Transfer to large bowl and toss w/ red onion.
- Combine ingredients from orange zest to black pepper.
- Whisk in olive oil.
- Add to peas and toss well.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Just before serving, fold in the cucumber and jalapeno.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »