- 1 (3 1/2 lb)chickens, giblets removed
- 1tablespoonvegetable oil
- 1 (12 ounce)cancola(not diet)
Barbeque Rub Ingredients
- 1tablespoonchili powder
- 2teaspoonslight brown sugar
- 1teaspoonblack pepper
- 1teaspoonground cumin
- 1teaspoongarlic powder
- 1/4teaspoonground red pepper
- Using plain cool water, thoroughly wash chicken and dry.
- Combine all ingredients for Barbeque Rub in a small bowl.
- Rub oil over skin of chicken.
- Sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon of Barbeque Rub inside the chicken body and neck cavity.
- Rub 2 tablespoons of Barbeque Rub all over the chicken.
- Try to get some rub under the skin where it is loose.
- Pour out 3/4 cup of the cola and either drink it or discard it.
- Pour remaining 1/2 tablespoon of rub into the cola can.
- It may cause the cola to fizz, somewhat.
- Holding chicken upright, place it onto the cola can, making sure the can fits deeply into the body cavity.
- Pull the legs forward to form a tripod; this will allow the chicken to stand upright during cooking.
- Refrigerate chicken and allow to marinate while you get your grill ready.
- For charcoal grills: pile your hot coals around the perimeter of the grill leaving the middle open.
- Place a drip pan in the middle of the grill.
- For gas grills: use only one burner or side.
- Place a drip pan on the unlit side.
- Place chicken directly onto the drip pan and position it to stand upright.
- Grill with lid closed for approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes or longer until meat thermometer register 180 degrees.
- NOTE: I used a 4lb chicken and it took 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove chicken from grill and let stand about 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove cola can from cavity.
- It will feel like it is stuck, but do not turn chicken on it’s side as the hot cola will spill out.
- I held the chicken on both sides and pulled it up while dh was holding onto the cola can.
- This worked pretty well.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »