- 1largeonion, halved and sliced
- 3clovesgarlic, chopped
- 1tablespoonkosher salt (optional)
- 2teaspoonsfresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2tablespoons mincedfresh ginger
- 3lbsboneless chicken thighs or boneless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1tablespoon minced freshhot red chili peppers
- 4stalkslemongrass, green tops removed then pale ends,finely chopped or2 tablespoonsdried lemongrass, soaked in water for 20 minutes,water discarded
- 2tablespoonscurry powder
- 3tablespoonssoy sauce
- 4tablespoonsfish sauceor worcestershire sauce
- 4ouncesunsweetened coconut milk(not coconut water)
- Melt butter in a large skillet on medium heat.
- Add half the onion and all of the garlic and cook, until they both begin to soften, about 7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add salt, pepper, sugar, ginger and chicken.
- Cook until the sugar melts and chicken begins to brown, approximately 15 minutes.
- Add the rest of the onion, chile peppers, lemon grass, curry powder, soy sauce, fish sauce (or Worcestershire sauce), and the coconut milk.
- Stir, lower heat to medium-low and cover.
- Cook until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle, about 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and simmer until the sauce thickens and the chicken is tender, about 10 more minutes.
- Serve warm over a bed of rice noodles, or whatever plain starch you prefer.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »