- 1tablespoonolive oil
- 1 1/2cups choppedonions
- 1mediumcarrot, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2clovesgarlic, minced
- 3cupsreduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce)canslow-sodium tomatoes, undrained and cut up
- 1/2cuplong-grain rice
- 1teaspoondried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 4cups choppedfresh spinach
- 1 (15 ounce)canreduced-sodium navy beans or white kidney beans, rinsed and drained(sometimes I use both kinds)
- 1mediumzucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1/4teaspoonfresh ground pepper
- gratedparmesan cheese (optional)
- salt(If not making low-sodium)
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven heat olive oil over medium-high heat; Cook and stir onion,carrot,and garlic in hot oil about 3 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Stir in the broth, undrained tomatoes, water, uncooked rice,and Italian seasoning, bring to boiling; reduce heat and simmer, covered about 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in spinach, beans, zucchini, and pepper; Cook, covered, for about 5 minutes more, serve if desired, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »