- 3/4-1cupsugar(use 1 cup if you like it sweet)
- 3tablespoonsCrisco shortening
- 2tablespoonsunsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2teaspoonbaking powder
- 1/4teaspoonbaking soda
- 4tablespoons choppednuts
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9″ round baking pan, and dust with flour.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and shortening until very well mixed; add in vanilla and eggs, beat for 2 minutes at medium speed.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture, with the buttermilk, beat for 2 minutes at low speed until moistened, then at medium speed for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped nuts.
- Transfer to prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until cake tests done with a toothpick.
- Note: mini chocolate chips may be substituted for the chopped nuts, OR use 2 Tbsp of both.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »