- 2lbsboneless pork shoulder, cut in 2 inch pieces
- 1medium whiteSpanish onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4cupcider vinegar, divided
- 1tablespoonextra-virgin olive oil
- 1cup finely choppedonions
- 4clovesgarlic, minced
- 1 (8 ounce)cantomato sauce
- 3 cannedchipotle chiles in adobo, chopped and mashed
- 1/2teaspoonground cumin
- 16 softtortillas, lightly roasted
- 16scallions, trimmed
- 2teaspoonsextra-virgin olive oil
- fresh lime juice(listed as optional but really gives a nice flavor)
- Bring the water to a boil in a Dutch oven over high heat.
- Add the pork, sliced Spanish onion, 3 tablespoons of the vinegar, and the salt.
- Return to boil, reduce heat, cover partially, and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove the pork with a slotted spoon; cool slightly.
- Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water.
- Shred the pork with 2 forks and set aside.
- Preheat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat; add the oil and chopped onion and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 15 seconds.
- Add tomato sauce, mashed chipotles, cumin, remaining 1 tablespoons vinegar, shredded pork, and reserved cooking water; cook 1-2 minutes to heat thoroughly.
- Remove from heat; cover and let stand 10 minutes to absorb the flavors.
- To serve, place about 1/4 cup of the pork mixture and one roasted scallion in a roasted tortilla.
- Roasted Scallions: Preheat oven to 425*F.
- Place the scallions on a baking sheet; drizzle evenly with the oil and toss gently to coat.
- Arrange in a single layer and roast for 10 minutes; remove from oven and sprinkle with salt and lime juice.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »