- 1tablespoonbutteror oil
- 1/4cup choppedonions
- 1clovegarlic, crushed
- 6ouncesItalian sausageor chorizo sausage
- 1teaspoonchili powder
- 1/2teaspoonoregano leaves
- 1/4teaspoonsalt(I don’t use salt)(optional)
- 1/4teaspoonblack pepper
- 1lblean ground beef
- 1 (8 ounce)cantomato sauce(you could use 1 cup of finely chopped tomatoes too)
- 1 1/2cups shreddedcheddar cheese
- Tabasco sauce, to taste (optional)
- 2/3cup defattedsoy flour(flour of choice)
- 1tablespoonoilor meltedbutter
- tomatoes, cut in wedges,for garnish
- Melt butter in 9 inch round pan or skillet (oven proof).
- Saute onion until soft, stir in garlic, saute a minute.
- Remove sausage from casing; cook, breaking up meat for 10 minutes; pour off any grease.
- Stir in chili powder, oregano, salt (if used) and pepper.
- Add ground beef, brown; stir in tomato sauce (or chopped tomatoes); Bring mixture to a simmer; remove from heat; sprinkle with cheese.
- In a bowl, combine milk, flour, cornmeal, egg and oil; beat vigorously, pour topping over mixture in skillet or round pan.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 35 minutes or until golden brown and fluffy; serve immediately.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »