- 4smallcorn tortillas
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1mediumonion, chopped(about 1 cup)
- 2clovesgarlic, minced
- 2tablespoonsvegetable oil
- 1 (4 ounce)cangreen chilies(chopped)
- 1 (15 ounce)canItalian-style stewed tomatoes(chopped and with their own juice)
- 4cupschicken broth
- 1teaspoonMexican oregano
- 1teaspoonground cumin
- 1/2teaspoonhot sauce
- 1lbboneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- Cut the tortillas into quarter-inch strips and scatter them on a baking sheet sprayed with nonstick spray (or covered in foil).
- Bake in a 400-degree oven for about 10 minutes (until crispy).
- Meanwhile, chop the onions and garlic and saute them over low heat with 2 tablespoons of vegetable (or olive) oil until the onion is transparent.
- Add the green chiles and empty the can of tomatoes (including the juice) and the chicken broth into the pot.
- Add the Mexican oregano, cumin, and hot sauce, and let everything simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and water until the mixture is very smooth.
- Pour the flour mixture slowly into the soup, stirring constantly.
- Bring the soup back to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces, and simmer the soup for 5 more minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve over a handful of tortilla strips and stir in grated cheese or sour cream, if desired.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »