- 2-3cups choppedcooked chicken
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce)cancondensed cream of chicken soup
- 3cupsred enchilada sauce(I used Texas Red Enchilada Sauce)
- 10-12 freshcorn tortillas
- 1-2cupvegetable oilor lard (optional)
- 2cups shreddedcheddar cheeseor monterey jack cheese
- 2tablespoons finely choppedwhite onionsor slicedscallions (optional)
- 2tablespoons slicedblack olives (optional)
- 1/2cupsour cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large casserole dish or lasagna pan, evenly spread 1 cup of the enchilada sauce across the bottom.
- Mix chopped cooked chicken with condensed chicken soup in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet until hot.
- Dip corn tortillas one at a time very briefly for about 1 second on each side, or until they soften.
- You may also just heat the tortillas to soften them (microwaving for a few seconds is one way), without using the oil, but they do tend to split.
- Place the softened tortilla on a plate and place several tbsp of the chicken filling across the center of the tortilla.
- Fold sides of tortilla over to enclose the filling, and place enchilada seam side down in the casserole dish.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.
- Pour remaining 2 cups red enchilada sauce over the enchiladas, trying to make sure that all the corn tortilla parts get covered.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly over the top.
- Garnish with the chopped onion and sliced olives, if desired.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes in the preheated oven or until heated through and cheese is melted.
- To serve, garnish with sour cream, if desired.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »