- 1 1/2loavescornbread(I use my Perfect Cornbread Perfect Cornbread)
- 2mediumred onions, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 6shallots, cut lengthwise into 6 ths
- 5leeks, white and pale green parts only halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2 inch thick pieces
- 3stalkscelery, chopped
- 1cupflat leaf parsley, packed, chopped
- 1tablespoonfresh sage leaves, chopped
- 2teaspoonsfresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1/2cupunsalted butter
- 3/4lbwhole chestnuts, vacuum-packed or canned
- 3 1/2cupschicken broth, divided
- Preheat oven to 325°F Prepare cornbread ahead of time from Perfect Cornbread Recipe#96862, or your own.
- Cut cornbread into 1/2″ cubes.
- In 2 large shallow baking pans, bake in the middle of the oven until just dry, about 20 minutes.
- Using only white and pale green parts of the leeks, halve them lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2″ thick pieces.
- In a large heavy skillet cook red onions, shallots, leeks, celery and herbs with salt and pepper to taste, in butter over moderate heat; stirring, until onion mixture is golden brown and softened– about 25 minutes.
- If using canned chestnuts, rinse and drain.
- In a saucepan simmer vacuum-packed or canned chestnuts in 2 cups of chicken broth for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss together bread, onions, chestnut mixture and remaining 1 1/2 cups of broth, with salt and pepper to taste, and let cool completely.
- (Stuffing may be made ahead up to 1 day before and chilled, covered– bring stuffing to room temperature before proceeding).
- To cook all or part of stuffing outside of poultry: In a shallow baking dish bake stuffing in preheated 325F oven 45 minutes.
- For moist stuffing, bake covered entire time; for less moist stuffing with a slightly crisp top, uncover halfway through baking time.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »