- 2tablespoonslardor butter
- 1/2-3/4lbstewing beefor pork belly, cubed or smoked sausage, sliced
- 1cuponions, diced
- 1-2lbwhite cabbage or savoy cabbage, shredded
- 1-1 1/2lbpotatoes, peeled and diced
- 1-2teaspooncaraway seeds (optional)
- 3tablespoonsflour (optional)
- 3tablespoonslard (optional)
- 1/2teaspoonsalt, to taste
- Heat the lard in dutch oven over medium high heat.
- If you use beef, brown beef in lard.
- If you use pork belly omit the lard and just brown the pork.
- If you use sausage add this about 1o minutes before ready to serve.
- Sautee onions till translucent.
- Add cabbage and potatoes, sautee till all is coated well with the fat and cabbage turns limb.
- Be careful not to burn potatoes.
- Add caraway seed and salt to taste.
- Add water to barely cover.
- Without stirring, cover the pot and let come to a full boil.
- reduce heat to simmer and simmer until done.
- If you like a stew like soup:.
- Melt lard in a pan, add flour and make a roux the color of coffee with milk.
- Add to the finshed soup and return to full boil.
- Remove from heat, season to taste.
- Note: Lamb will work too.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »