- 3ounces coldbutter, cut into cubes
- 2ouncesground hazelnuts
- 2-3tablespoonsice water
- 1egg yolk
- 4ouncesdark brown sugar
- 1 1/3cupsmilk
- 3egg yolks
- 1 1/2teaspoonsvanilla extract
- 3egg whites
- 6ouncessugar, plus
- 1tablespoondark brown sugar
- 2tablespoonssliced almonds
- For crust: Put butter, flour, sugar and ground hazelnuts in processor, process until mixture resembles coarse meal; add 2-3 tblsps ice water and the egg yolk and process using on/off turns until stiff dough forms; gather dough into a ball, flatten into a disk, cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes; preheat oven to 400F; roll out and pastry to fit 8 inch-diameter tart pan and press in to fit bottom and sides; place a sheet of foil over crust and fill with dry beans or pie weights; bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, carefully remove foil and beans and bake 5 minutes longer; remove and cool.
- For filling: Mix cornstarch with sugar in a small saucepan over medium-low heat; slowly add the milk, whisking constantly, and cook until the cream thickens; remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes; whisk in butter, egg yolks and vanilla; pour cream into crust.
- For meringue: Beat egg whites until soft peaks form; add sugar and beat until stiff, but not dry, peaks form; cover cream filling with meringue, sealing to edge of pastry and make decorative peaks and swirls in meringue; sprinkle over 1 tblsp dark brown sugar and flaked almonds.
- Bake at 400F for 10-12 minutes, until meringue is a nice golden colour.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »