- 10slicesstale bread(I often use french sticks and leave the crusts on)
- 4ouncesraisins or sultanas(or a mixture)
- 1teaspoonvanilla extract
- 2teaspoons freshly gratednutmeg
- Grease a large ovenproof casserole dish with some of the butter.
- Slice the bread and butter it.
- Place them in layers in the bowl, sprinkling the fruit on top of each layer.
- Whisk the eggs.
- Whisk the milk, cream, sugar and vanilla essence.
- Combine the eggs and the milk mixture.
- pour on top of the bread and fruit and leave to soak for about 2 hours, (until the bread is saturated).If there isn’t enough liquid to cover the bread, add more milk and/or cream.
- Sprinkle the top with grated nutmeg.
- Bake in a medium oven for approximately 1 hour.
- The top should be golden brown, and the pudding will rise.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »