- 2teaspoonscanola oil
- 1mediumonion, chopped
- 1/2red bell pepper, chopped
- 2clovesgarlic, minced
- 1/4teaspoonground cumin
- 1 1/2cupsreduced-sodium chicken brothor vegetable broth
- 3/4cupquick-cooking barley
- 1/2teaspoondried oregano or3 teaspoonsfresh oregano, to taste
- 15 1/2-19ouncescanned black beans, rinsed,drained
- 1/2cup choppedfresh tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 2tablespoons choppedfresh cilantroor basil (optional)
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is barely tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add cumin and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Add broth, barley and oregano, increase heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the barley is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Gently stir in beans and tomatoes and heat through.
- season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with cilantro or basil (if using) just before serving.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »