- 2onions, chopped
- 1largeleek, white and pale green part, chopped
- 2carrots, chopped
- 1/2cupcelery, chopped
- 1/4lb chunkprosciutto, chopped
- 3tablespoonsunsalted butter
- 1/2cuppearl barley
- 1/4cupdried black-eyed peas
- 3 (14 ounce)cansreduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 (14 ounce)canreduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2-1lb smokedbratwursts, sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a heavy soup pot, cook the vegetables and prosciutto in butter over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in barley and black-eyed peas, and cook another minute.
- Add broths and water; simmer uncovered for 1 1/4 hours.
- Add sausage and simmer uncovered for another 15 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- I use the food processor to chop (separately) the prosciutto and vegetables.
- This soup freezes well.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »