- 100gsmoked streaky bacon, roughly chopped
- 300gplain flour
- 2teaspoonsbaking powder
- 1teaspooncaster sugar
- 120gcheddar cheese, finely diced
- 1egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees centigrade.
- Line a muffin tin with paper cases.
- Cook the bacon in a non-stick fry pan for 3-4 minutes until golden.
- Drain on kitchen paper.
- Add the butter to the ban, remove from the heat and leave to melt.
- Sift the flower and baking powder into a large bowl and stir in the cornmeal, sugar, salt, cooked bacon and three quarters of the cheese.
- Crack the egg into a seperate bowl and whisk in the egg and melted butter.
- Stir the liquid into the dry ingredients, taking care not to over mix.
- Divide the mixture between the paper cases, scatter over the reserved cheese and bake for 20 minutesor so until well risen and just firm.
- Transfer to a wire rack, and allow to cool slightly-if you can wait, that is.
Posted in Recipes | No Comments »